Tuesday, January 25, 2011

And The Journey Begins

Well... Eh hem... This is my first post! It will be long winded to those that are reading this so sorry!

I have been "morbidly obese" since I hit puberty. It was all down hill from there. I was not overweight as a child but as those hormones kicked in I was done for it. Once puberty hit I was diagnosed with PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome), then a few years later I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism and Insulin Resistance. GREAT! Not only do I have obesity genes in my family, I now hade 3 medical conditions that pile on the weight and make it slower and harder to lose AWESOME!

I started my WLS (weight loss surgery) journey over this past summer. I had been supporting my mom who was being worked up for RNY (roux-en-y gastric bypass) for about 2 years. I saw how determined she was to lose the weight for good and it motivated me. I always new that I was over weight but I never thought that I was heavy enough for WLS. I work with several people who have had some form of WLS at GHP (Grand Health Partners) in Grand Rapids MI. I decided to go to GHP because the surgeon my mom used had a waiting list and I was anxious to start.

It was August 26th 2010 that I had my first visit at GHP. I started with a physical and a meeting with the dietitian. I had to do a 90 day monitored program that included weekly classes and weigh-ins for my insurance to cover the surgery. I completed this program at the end of November and lost 30lbs! YES I accomplished something! I had my consultation with Dr. Foote, the surgeon, in mid December and we decided on the procedure called the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy or otherwise known as VSG. My surgery date was scheduled for 01/19/11. I started a 2 week preop diet on 01/05/11 to shrink my liver.

No comments:

Post a Comment